Sunday, January 4, 2015

A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO 2015

By Vicki Ellis Griffis

Wow, do the years just get crazier and crazier, or is it just me? I know they fly by faster.

As more and more disturbing sadnesses occurred in 2014 such as:  Missing airplanes, ebola, droughts, Isis beheadings, and losses of such characters as Robin Williams, Phillip Seymore Hoffman, Joan Rivers, Casey Kasem, and Shirley Temple,

I found that more and more I needed to be carried away from reality with a good laugh. Not just a chuckle, but something that really cracked me up. 
So, I set out to listen for, discover, and create every opportunity I could find to laugh and make others start their day laughing, too.

Here are some of my favorites of 2014: 

 1.  I am proud to say I have obtained the first thing on my bucket list . . . the bucket.

 2.  Friend:    Sammy, did you go to New York with Vicki?               
      Sammy:  No, but I went to the Dairy Queen while she was gone.   
      Friend:    I didn’t see you post it on Facebook. 
      Sammy:  I don’t like to brag.

3.  When someone asks me what I did over the weekend, I always ask, “Why, what 
      did you hear?”

 4.  Sammy gets all the luxury he can handle by driving whatever car I think makes him 
      look the  most married.

 5.  Moisturizing . . . because I am still not ready to accept, “For your age,” as a compliment.

 6.  I still haven’t cashed in my winning megamillions ticket . . . scared the $6 will make my
      friends treat me differently.

 7.  Help, I am a young woman stuck in a Golden Girls body.

 8.  I am “My selfie would look better without me in it” years old.

 9.  Sammy said he loved a girl with personality . . . and I have several . . . so, win-win!

10.  Me:   You pay more attention to the TV than you do me.
       Him:  Ma’am, do you want me to fix your cable or not?

11.  How do I like my eggs? Umm . . . in a cake.

12.  Walking into Walmart with my grandkids, “Remember, kids – use your Target voices.”

13.  Sammy doused me in the ice bucket challenge. I’m a little confused. Has anyone
       else been asked to hold a toaster at the same time?

14.  I won’t say someone does not like me, but I just got nominated for the boiling 
       water bucket challenge.

15.  If you go walking with me, you better be prepared to walk a lot.

16.  Remember children, the best way to get a puppy for Christmas is to beg for 
       a baby brother.

17.  Ten out of ten pigs prefer turkey bacon over regular bacon.

18.  Sammy says my reality check bounced.

19.  Life status: My therapist goes to see her therapist five minutes after I leave.

20.  I learned sign language so I could continue to fight with Sammy while giving him 
       the silent treatment.

21. Sammy: I cannot join Facebook because I might send something, then wish I could
      take it back.
      Me:        If you do, just pray, “Father, forgive me for I have sent.”

22.  I don’t refer to them as the voices in my head, I call them, My team of writers.

23.  I am happy, but not “Oprah just told me to look under my chair” happy.

24.  I don’t think I get enough credit for doing everything I do while being unmedicated.

25.  Don’t get any thieves at our house. Our doorbell is a recording of a shotgun being racked.

26.  Can you throw your back out while sucking your belly in? Asking for a friend.

27.  Cute guy waves at me in their car . . . I wave back, flattered . . .  Oops, he was just
       putting his sun visor down . . . my bad!

28.  My doctor told me to eat more Taco Bell. Well, she actually told me to eat “less
       McDonalds,” but I knew what she meant.  

29.  Sammy driving through Kingston . . . sees where they changed the speed limit sign
       to 60. . .looks at speedometer and says, “Uh, Oh, I am going 62 . . . Oh, yeah, 
       I am still WILD!”

And one last one to wish you a Happy New Year and many more happys on:

30.  Sammy:    Vicki, if there is one thing that bugs me about you, it is . . .
        Vicki:       . . . that I finish your sentences?

        Sammy:   Uh . . .  yeah, that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment